What is BIM ?
Discover more in the section below
BIM or Building Information Modeling is an integrated workflow built on coordinated, reliable information about a project from design through construction and into operation.
BIM technologies in the AEC industry
BIM-technology in the process of architectural design provides an extensive knowledge base of constructed objects, which includes:
- Architectural general concept.
- The structure of the building.
- Engineering systems.
- Work equipment and building materials (with detailed characteristics).
- The service life of the components used in the work.
In the course of work, several types of software are used, but the process of creating a model itself resembles interaction with design CAD systems.
How technology leads to new opportunities?
Standard design and engineering systems, generally, are practically unrelated to each other, which makes it difficult to establish interaction between project participants. The BIM model, however, organizes the simplest data exchange. Moreover, not only designers, architects and builders can take part in the process, but also investors, financiers, as well as service organizations.
In the process of working on an architectural object, BIM technologies have several advantages in design and construction:
- Three-dimensional interiors and exteriors can be displayed at any scale.
- Since the projects look as realistic as possible, you can present your own project in a favorable light by organizing a virtual walk for investors, buyers, and customer representatives. Modern capabilities allow the use of virtual reality technologies, which significantly enhances the emotional effect of the presentation.
- Preparation of design and working documentation is carried out following current standards.
- In the process of creating a model, the total amount of work, the cost of construction of the building, and various communications are calculated.
With all this, the specialists participating in the project clearly see each other’s work in real-time. Thanks to this, during the implementation of the object, possible construction collisions, shortcomings, as well as conflicts between specialists in different fields are excluded.
MAIN BIM processes
Architectural design based on BIM technologies is built in stages:
- In the beginning, the basic concept of the building is created. The basic shape, size, as well as layout of the future structure, are determined. Already at this stage, the customer will be able to evaluate the approximate model of the object.
- Clarification of the draft design. Construction materials are selected, specific modifications and details of the structure, its exact dimensions are confirmed. The development of engineering systems begins.
- Creation of working documentation with estimates and plans for future work.
- Automation of supervision over each construction stage. The BIM model allows you to create a map of deviations from the initially specified dimensions based on laser scanning. This procedure can be applied to an already built part of the architectural object, which helps to make the necessary adjustments to the design.
- Transfer of the model to the maintenance service. The final project contains all the necessary information about every detail of the constructed building.
This approach not only reduces construction time but also significantly reduces the number of possible errors. Even if deviations from the basic design arise in the course of work, using BIM modeling technologies, they can be easily detected and corrected.
Innovative principles of architectural design are used in the construction of residential, public, industrial facilities, etc. The created model lays the foundations for the successful operation of the building services. That is why the “life cycle” of the technology does not end after the completion of construction. The digital model works similarly during the life of a building. It is effectively used in the planning of major repairs, redevelopment and restoration.